Friday, November 1, 2013

Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole


I loved this and made it gluten free. NOTE: I have now found a GF cream of chicken!



1 can (26 oz) cream of chicken soup (most cans are smaller than this)(can use 2 of the above if you can find it)--[instead I use 1  2cup can of
                  chicken broth [16 oz]that was GF and added a bit of light cream and thicken it
                   with corn starch]
1 & 1/4 cups of milk (I just added the light cream as above--about 1/3 to 1/2 cup
3/4 cup parmesan cheese (I used less)
1 tsp onion powder OR sauté 1 medium onion and 2 cloves garlic
3 cups cooked chicken or canned chicken cubed (I just used 12oz can)
1/2 a one pound package spaghetti (break into 1 & 1/2 inch before cooking) I used 3/4 pound GF
1 can sliced mushrooms drained (or sauté 1 cup fresh (I used one jar)
bread crumbs for topping--can use ritz crackers. I used GF bread crumbs
2 T melted butter
green peas are also a good addition

Stir soup, milk, cheese, and onion powder in large bowl.  Add chicken, cooked mushrooms and cooked spaghetti. Spoon in 3 quart baking dish . Stir crumbs and melted butter sprinkling over the top. (I just sprinkled my crumbs and dotted with the butter] . Bake 400 degree 20 minutes or until hot and bubbling.
Makes 4-5 servings--you can double for more.

FOR THOSE WHO CAN HAVE GLUTEN:

2-3 CUPS OF  cooked CHICKEN (CAN USED CANNED)
26 OZ CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP
1 AND 1/4 CUP OF MILK (OR ALMOND MILK)
3/4 CUP OF PARMESAN CHEESE
1 JAR (SMALL) MUSHROOM OR 1 CUP FRESH MUSHROOMS
BREAD CRUMBS
BUTTER
ONION POWDER (NOT SALTED)
3/4 LB dry SPAGHETTI NOODLES BROKEN IN THIRDS OR FOURTHS
Green peas are a nice addition.

DIRECTIONS: Cook spaghetti.  Mix all together in large pot or bowl except for the bread crumbs and butter.  Place in a greased 13 by 9 inch pan.  Sprinkle with bread crumbs and drizzle some melted butter over the crumbs (or just dot with unmelted butter). Bake in preheated 400 degrees for 25 or more minutes (can take more) until all is bubbly and the crumbs start to brown.


No comments: