Thursday, May 20, 2010

Pumpkin-Sage grits with or without Chicken

I found this in April 2010 Better Home and Gardens. I changed some things up , but I will give both ways. I cooked my Chicken in the crockpot because it comes out so moist that way, however the recipe called for baking it. (note: I usually eat Vegan meals, but sometimes have fish and chicken). This is gluten free.




4 , 4-6 ounce skinless bloneless chicken breast halves
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil (I didn't use)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp groun black pepper
1 & 1/2 cups of water for grits
2/3 cup instant grits
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1 Tbsp. snipped fresh sage
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I substituted 2 tab of nutritional yeast)
sage leaves

me: extra cinnamon, 1/8 tsp of ground cayenne red pepper

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees if baking chicken. Arrange chicken breast halves in 13 by 9 by 2 inch baking pan. Drizzle chicken with oil and sprinkle with 1 tsp. of the salt, the cinnamon, and black pepper. Rub the spices over all sides of the chicken. Roast in preheated oven 18 to 20 minutes or until no longer pink and juices run clear. OR YOU CAN COOK IN THE CROCKPOT INSTEAD: I prefer this because the chicken comes out so moist and falls apart. I placed the chicken in the crock. I added 1/2cup dry white wine and about 1 and 1/2 cups of water with some fresh sage, rosemary, thyme and salt and pepper and a sprinkling of cinnamon. I cooked on low for 5-6 hours.

2. Meanwhile while chicken is baking or when chicken is done in the crockpot--in medium saucepan brin water to boiling. Stir in grits until combined(I prefer to put grits in cold water as I get less lumps. Then I bring it to a boil). Stir in pumpkin, sage, and 1/2 tsp salt. (Here since I did not use cheese at the end , I added the ground cayenne red pepper and a sprinkling of cinnamon). Cook, uncovered, 5-7 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese if using or substitute 2 Tablespoons of nutritional yeast (this is not cooking yeast). NOTE: I would prefer more grits for 4 servings!

3. To serve, spoon grits onto dinner plates and top with chichen and add sage leaves for decoration.
NOTE--I served it with sauteed fresh spinach and garlic which only takes a few minutes

No comments: