Tuesday, November 13, 2012

red lentil soup (southern living)



I like this because it requires few ingredients and it makes a nice soup. This was from Dec 2011 Southern Living mag

Makes 11 cups

Hands on time 25 min.
Total time 55 min.

2 Tbsp. butter (I used 1) although you could sub oil or water
1 sweet onion diced (I used food processor)
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
4 garlic cloves minced (I sliced)
1 (28 oz can )diced tomatoes (I used 1 (15 oz) diced, and 1 (15 oz) fire roasted crushed)
2 cups red lentils(rinsed and picked over)
2 extra -large chicken bouillon cubes (I used 2 (15oz) cans of chicken broth)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp or so of liquid hickory smoke (my addition)
1 cup chopped fresh basil
water

1. Melt butter or oil in Dutch oven over med high heat. Add onion and next 3 ingredients and saute 5-6 minutes OR until tender. Add tomatoes and next 5 ingredients and THEN either add 1 cup of water if you used the cans of broth[ OR if you used the dry bouillon cubes then instead you add 5 cups of water].

2.Bring to a boil ; reduce heat to med, and cook, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. STIR I LIQUID SMOKE IF USING . STIR IN BASIL JUST BEFORE SERVING. I just added it to each bowl.



No comments: