Thursday, April 8, 2010

Vegetable Garden pasta

I forgot to take a pic with the noodles and tomatoes, but we did enjoy this and it is full of veggies.
I found this from Taste of Home....I changed it up a bit , but I will put in my changes. Makes 4-5 servings and cooks fast!

What is nice is the veggies are done as fast as the noodles!

Spaghetti noodles (or angle hair, or fettuccine--whatever)
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup sliced fresh carrots
1 cup fresh snow peas (I PREFER ASPARAGUS --so we had asparagus, thin ones!)
1 cup chopped sweet yellow, red or green bell pepper (I used red)
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tab olive oil (I omitted--don't need it in my iron skillet, but it would add flavor and calories!)
2 tsp cornstarch
1 cup vegetable broth or chicken broth (chicken broth has lots of nice flavor, but chickpea broth is a good substitute)
1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped (I left skins on)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (I used nutional yeast--just sprinkled some on each serving)
We also love olives with this--any type.

1. Cook pasta.
2. Meanwhile in nonstick skillet saute mushrooms, carrots, snowpea pods, or asparagus, bell pepper, basil and garlic for 2-3 minuts until crisp tender.
3. In small bowl combine cornstarch, broth and salt until smooth--gradually stir into the veggie mixture. Bring to boil and cook and stir 1-2 minutes until thickened and veggies are crisp tender.
4. Remove from heat; stir in tomatoes . Can add olives if desired.
5. Serve on top of pasta and sprinkle with cheese or nutional yeast.

1 comment:

Bunny Jean said...

Thanks so much for your comment about my becoming a vegetarian. I found that I don't miss meat at all. It is just a challenge to learn how to put a meal together...

I have to confess that I avoided learning more about animal mistreatment (during their lifetime... not just their slaughter) as it is not a pleasant subject. But when I learned that the meat is often not high quality or healthy for us, I just had to learn more. I have never heard about veggies contributing to cancer!

I really appreciate your sharing your cooking blog with me. I need all the help and dinner ideas I can get!

All I need now is for you to come over and cook for me ;)

Talk to you soon ;)
Bunny Jean