Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Red Quinoa -creole style



Yes, it looks strange , but I love it!! I used the Inca Red Quinoa. It is pronounced Keen-wa--it is an ancient grain and contains more "high quality protein than any other grain. The National Academy of Sciences calls it 'one of the best sources of protein in the vegetable kingdom". "Quinoa stands alone as a complete protein grain. It provides all the essential amino acids in a balanced pattern close to the ideal set by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization. Plus it contains no gluten. I like the red quinoa best!
1 cup red quinoa
2 cups water.

Bring to boil and then reduce to simmer , cover and cook until all water is absorbed (about 15 minutes).

Meanwhile--sautee an onion. Add 14 1/2 oz of cut up canned tomatoes (I used organic). Add as much creole seasoning as you like. When the Quinoa is finished add to the tomato mixture --taste to see if you want more of the creole seasoning--yum!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey mom! this is Skipper. I just opened up my blog now too! I'm just getting used to it, feelin around etc. I decided to leave a comment here cause I found some new recipes for Quinoa! just wanted to let you know. I found them while I was signing into MSN hotmail. They had a news story about how good it was for you and some recipes :)