Saturday, October 31, 2009

Pumpkin Black Bean Soup

Ok, so I forgot to Take a PICTURE until after I had eaten 1/2 so excuse the photo!!! I found this in a section of a magazine I received this week. It may be from HomeMadeSimple.com This is a different soup---but once in a while I like something different. I think next time I will put less of the balsamic vinegar which is added at the end of cooking--or perhaps just put 1 tablespoon. It called for 3 Tablespoons and I put 2 , but this was just a little too tangy for me. Actually we all really liked this soup!



Ingredients:


2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (14.5 oz)diced tomatoes
1 can (16-oz) pumpkin puree
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves., minced
4 tablesppons olive oil (I omitted)
4 cups vegetable broth
1 tablespoon of cumin
1 tsp each kosher salt, cinnamon, allspice (might use less salt depending on broth)
1/2 tsp ground pepper
3 tablespoons balsamc vinegar (ME__WAY LESS)
Baked pumpkin seeds, for garnish if desired

INstructions:

1. Cook onion and garlic until browned.
2. Puree the beans and tomatoes and 1/2 the broth. Add pureed ingredients, pumpkin , rest of broth and the seasonings except for the vinegar.
3. Simmer uncovered until thick, about 40 minutes. Before serving add vinegar if desired.

No comments: