Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Two Bean Soup by Kitchen Basic Vegetable Stock

Bad Photo here---but I was in a real hurry This makes 3 servings so I really should double it. It is nice and thick and is to make--the cooking takes time but not the prep, but need to soak beans the night before. (Kitchen Basic has an online recipe site here and their home page is at kitchenbasic.net



1 cup black beans, soaked overnight
1 cup white navy beans, soaked overnight
4 cups of Kitchen Basic vegetable stock
2 garlic cloves minced
3 Tbs of balsamic vinegar
2 jalapeno peppers seeded and chopped or for less hot use 1/2 red pepper chopped
6 scallions, chopped (I only had onions)
juice 1/2 lime
1/8 cup olive oil (I omitted to lesson fat)
1/8 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (my hubby doesn't like cilantro--I do)

Drain and mix and rinse beans. Combine beans, stock and garlic in saucepan. Bring
to boil. Cover and simmer until soft, about 90 minutes (mine took more because I turned my heat to low). Puree mixture in food processor or with stick mixer (I just mashed mine with a masher since I like some whole beans). Return to saucepan and add remaining ingredients. Reheat gently. Serve--if you eat dairy you can garnish with sour cream.

No comments: