Saturday, December 7, 2013

fluffy omelet from 1912 kids cookbook!



We really liked this recipe. I added a bit of cheddar to it. Below is a picture of it while it is cooking:



We cut it in half to serve on the plates:

and below is a photo of the cute book from which I obtained the recipe--it is available at Amazon:




How to:

[I used 4 eggs]

1. Separate yolks and whites, putting them into different bowls.
2. Add dash of salt to whites , and dash of salt and white pepper to yolks.
3. Add cold water to whites, allowing 1 teaspoon to each.
4. Add cold water to yolks, allowing 1 tablespoon each [I did less]
5. Beat both very lightly.[I actually decided to really whip them both--this is why the whites are so airy in my omelet---but some time I will try it the way it is described here]
6.Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in frying pan (I used my ceramic pan)
7. Pour in yolks. Let cook a moment.
8. Spread whites over yolks, making a little hole in the center for steam to escape.
9. Cook SLOWLY for 5 minutes, or until the puffed up whites look dry. [I covered my pan--and I also sprinkled some cheddar over the whites]
10. Fold one half over the other.
11. Turn out on a warm platter.
12. Trim with parsley [if desired] and serve at once.

This books is so much fun--it has a book within a book and the pots and pans talk to the child.

No comments: