Monday, April 2, 2012

stacked tortilla with black beans




This was very good and fun to make. You make it in a spring-form pan and when it is down you remove the side and you have a nicely stacked tortilla.  I found this recipe here . I altered it a bit since I have to use corn tortilla's and not wheat. I also didn't use cheese.


Ingredients

  • 4 flour tortillas (10 inches) (I used 8 inch corn ones)
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 jalapeno chile, minced (remove seeds and ribs for less heat) (I just used some salsa instead)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 12 ounces beer, or 1 1/2 cups water I used part GF beer and part water.
  • 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
  • 4 scallions, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish (didn't have any)
  • 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (2 1/2 cups) (didn't use)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. With a paring knife, trim tortillas to fit a 9-inch springform pan. Use the bottom of the pan as a guide. Set aside.
  2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeno, garlic, and cumin; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
  3. Add beans and beer, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until liquid has almost evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes.(I didn't use as much liquid and I did add a bit of salsa). Stir in corn and scallions, and remove from heat. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
  4. Fit a trimmed tortilla in bottom of springform pan (I used an 8 inch one); layer with 1/4 of the beans and 1/2 cup of cheese. Repeat three times, using 1 cup cheese on top layer. Bake until cheese melts, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove side of pan; sprinkle pie with scallions. To serve, slice into wedges.

I added picante sause on top and tomatoes and AVOCADOS. This was great!

No comments: