Monday, April 27, 2009

Black beans in crock pot


I got this from my daughter--not sure where she got it---we used it in a taco salad recipe as pictured--adding olives, baked herbed rice, avocados,onions, and tomatoes and salsa





1 lb dried black beans (2 cups) sorted and rinsed
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
1 large bell pepper, chopped (1.5 cups)
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 bay leaves
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
5 cups water
2 Tb olive oil
4 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp finely chopped jalapeno chili
1 tsp salt (I added less I think)
3 cups hot cooked rice, for serving
I added more jalapeno pepper, 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp coriander seed



Mix all ingredients except rice in 3.5-6 quart slow cooker
Cover and cook on Hi 6-8h or until beans are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Remove bay leaves
Serve beans over rice.

No comments: