Friday, May 1, 2009

Black-eyed pea salad

Again a bad picture but I love this salad--I should have chopped the cucumbers a bit smaller too!! You can make this with or without pasta. I got this from a Light and Tasty edition April/May 02 This is pictured without pasta or tomatoes

6 ounces small shell pasta (cooked and rinsed)
1 can or 15 ounces of black-eyed peas rinsed and drained
1 cup sliced green onions
3/4 cup diced seeded cucumber (I leave the seeds in)
3/4 cup diced green pepper (or 1 medium)
3/4 cup diced tomatoes (you can omit this and it is still great)
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped

Dressing:

3 tab of olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar or cider vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp hot pepper sauce
1/2 tsp seasoned salt (ie 1/4 tsp Mrs.Dash garlic and herbs and 1/4 tsp salt OR you can use salt)

In Bowl combine first 7 ingredients. In a jar with tight lid combine dressing stuff. Pour over salad ad stir to coat. Refrigerated at least 2 hours---makes 6 servings

NOTE: I sometimes use a fat free basil lime dressing from Maple Farms and just throw in some chili powder. I sometimes eat it right away ;-)

No comments: