Friday, May 11, 2012

orange-cranberry braised cabbage from Southern living



This is a nice treat to have for cabbage!! I think I will have some sweet potatoes to go with it too.

Makes 6 servings. Hands on time 30 min (I did half of the recipe but I am giving the full one here)

1 medium head cabbage shredded or chopped
3 tbsp olive oil
one 6 oz package sweetened dried cranberries
1 tsp orange zest
3/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp honey (I may have used more)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg if desired
3 tbsp butter if desired

Cook cabbage in hot oil in a dutch oven over med high heat, stirring constantly 5 min or until tender (I had bigger chunks so took longer).  Stir in cranberries and next 7 ingredients. Cook, stirring often, 6-7 min or until liquid is reduced by half. Remove from heat and stir in butter if using.

No comments: