Monday, October 26, 2009

Layered mashed white and sweet potatoes with greens

Now this was from Dr. Esselstyn's book. The recipe is a bit odd. I wanted to put it in my blog because I like the white potato, collard green, onion combo. I couldn't find the fennel locally so it probably would have tasted much better with it, but I had to omit it. We had this left over the next night and discovered we really love this dish if we make a gravy with mushrooms and browned onioins (if you are not vegan you can use chicken broth thickened with cornstarch.




6 medium white potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks (can keep skins on if want to)
3/4-1 cup oat or nonfat soy milk (I omitted and just used some of the cooking water)
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chunked
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
4 cups packed collard greens, finely chopped and steamed (Kale could probably be used too)
3 cups chopped Napa cabbage, steamed (about 1/2 cabbage)
1/4 cup finely copped fennel (not necessary to steam)
cilantro chopped (I omitted since hubby doesn't like--hmmm, I should have put some on mine.

1. Cook white potatoes in boiling water until soft. Drain--mash with milk or cooking water. (me--add salt and pepper to taste and a little red Cayenne pepper)

2. Steam or boil sweet potatoes until soft. Drain and transfer to another large bowl.

3. Stir-fry onions in a nonstick pan (I used iron skillet) over medium heat until brown,adding water if necessary (I didn't need to). Add onion to cooked white potatoes along with cooked collard greens. Mix well.

4. Add cabbage and fennel to sweet potatoes and mix well.

5. Put a single layer of white potatoes in a 9 by 11 inch baking dish (I used a deep 9 inch square dish). Follow with a layer of sweet potatoes. Finish with a layer of white potatoes.

6. preheat oven to 350

7. Bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro if desire.

No comments: