Tuesday, October 2, 2012

sweet potato corn chowder (can add chicken or clams too)





We enjoyed this tonight. We did not use the chicken , but it would be good with chicken or clams too--but it is nice just as a vegetable chowder! We had it with Gluten free corn bread. The original recipe was found here http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2006/09/roasted-corn-chowder-with-cilantro.html#  BUT I do not like it SO spicy. So I changed it some.





Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 to 1 teaspoon curry or chili powder or paste, mild or hot, to taste (I used the chili)
4-5 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
1 medium sweet onion, diced
3 ears of corn, roasted, kernels removed (I used frozen corn--1 whole bag and part of another
1 large sweet potato, peeled, diced
1 14-oz or 26 oz is what I used- can Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles (I used the one without chiles!)
1 cup seeded, chopped fresh heirloom tomatoes- I used 2 medium vine grown ones
4 oz. chopped roasted green chiles--I omitted!
1 quart light vegetable broth (I used rapunzil brand)
1 14-oz can coconut milk
2 rounded cups torn cooked chicken pieces ( I omitted)
Sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
A quick drizzle of organic raw agave, to taste (I omitted)

To serve:

3 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro (I omitted)
Fresh lime juice from 2 juicy limes (I just added a bit to our bowls)


Instructions:

Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat and stir in the cumin and curry or chili powder; cook for one minute to infuse the oil with spice.

Add the chopped garlic and onion. Stir and cook for five minutes. Add the roasted corn, sweet potato, canned fire roasted tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, green chiles; stir for a minute. Add in the broth.

Cover and bring to a high simmer. Lower the heat and simmer gently, until the sweet potatoes are tender, about twenty minutes or so.

Add the coconut milk and cooked chicken pieces. Stir and season with sea salt and ground pepper; and add a drizzle of organic raw agave to taste. Heat through gently- please don't boil it.

Just before serving, add the chopped cilantro and fresh lime juice. Stir. Taste test. Adjust seasoning. The lime juice brightens the taste and accents the spice. Agave cools the hotness.

Garnish with a lime wedge and pass out the spoons. Slurp. Smile.




Read more: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2006/09/roasted-corn-chowder-with-cilantro.html#ixzz28BOwTfWe

No comments: