Saturday, January 11, 2014

Black eye pea with artichoke salad OR Ford-ham Lima bean with artichoke salad



I found this recipe for black eye pea salad here http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/black_eyed_pea_artichoke_salad.html

However I am on a special diet for a while so I made it with the black eyed peas for the guys, and I used Ford-ham Lima beans for me and they are both tasty. I used about 1/2 the recipe

Frozen artichoke hearts are great to have on hand for just this type of easy salad. If you can't find frozen, go for the canned variety but keep in mind that they do have added sodium. You can rinse them under cool water to remove some of the sodium.
6 servings Active Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients

  • 1 9-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed  (I used canned)
  • 2 15-ounce cans black-eyed peas, rinsed (I used frozen ones that I cooked)
  • 1/2 cup chopped red onion
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
  • Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste

Preparation

  1. Cut each artichoke in half. Combine with black-eyed peas, onion, vinegar, oil, Worcestershire sauce and caraway seeds. Season with salt and pepper.

Nutrition

Per serving : 167 Calories; 5 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 3 g Mono; 0 mg Cholesterol; 25 g Carbohydrates; 8 g Protein; 8 g Fiber; 364 mg Sodium; 379 mg Potassium

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kim, I added a post link for Kathysue to my chair post. She posted the photos originally on Facebook. Today she has an actual blog post about using four chairs, with photos.