Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Peppered rice (or pasta )and beans

This is a nice flavorful light dish. I got the original recipe from http://www.drmcdougall.com/ I did not include the rice in the picture. You can put it with rice or pasta. The roasted peppers and basil gave a nice flavor to this dish. I like this better with added garlic and spinach and mushrooms.....served on linguine or spaghetti noodles.

1/2 cup vegetable broth (I prefer a cup--it flavors the noodles more and makes it more moist.)
2 thinly sliced leeks (white part only)
1 15 ox can small white beans, drained and rinsed (I used the canellini beans-navy beans are also good-)
1 10 oz jar of roasted red peppers, chopped (I used more-- 12 oz)
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
1 tab drained capers (I forgot these and it was still good)
(I like added spinach and garlic and mushrooms!) Not pictured here
plenty of pepper to taste
Pasta or rice (cooked)

Cook 16 oz of pasta or cook some brown rice

Place the vegetable broth in a saucepan with the leeks. Cook for 3 min . Add the rest of the ingredients cooking for about 5 minutes until hot. Serve over the pasta or rice.

No comments: