Thursday, June 24, 2010

Black-eyed peas with spinach (served warm)



Found this on Wiki by Sabzi I liked it and it would make a great lunch dish for me, but my hubby doesn't care for it! POwee. I love black-eyed peas and spinach, so I enjoyed this. Next time I think I would prefer just plain onions over the leaks.

Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
2 leeks (white parts only), halved lengthwise, rinsed well and chopped (1 cup)
12 to 16 oz fresh baby spinach, rinsed well
½ cup chopped fresh parsley
4 scallions (white and light green parts), sliced
2 (16-oz) cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp salt
I like a little garam masala added to it

Directions
In extra-large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring often, until wilted and tender, 5 to 8 minutes.
Add spinach, parsley, scallions and 1/4 cup water. Cover and cook just until spinach has wilted, about 8 minutes.
Stir in black-eyed Peas, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook, uncovered, just until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Serve hot.

No comments: