Saturday, August 10, 2019

Pumpkin walnut oat cornbread




This will be nice for the fall, but good anytime especially with fresh fruit and cinnamon.
Next time I might try cinnamon in the batter--but it is good sprinkled on top. I like this because no added fat (besides the walnuts and what may be in the flours and no added sugar except dates.

I found this here: https://www.straightupfood.com/blog/2017/11/19/pumpkin-walnut-cornbread/

Here are the ingredients:
 t
  • 1 cup water
  • 3 ounces pitted dates (5 to 6 Medjool or 10 to 12 Deglet Noor), cut in half
  • 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (grind to make flour--used GF)
  • 1½ cups yellow cornmeal (If using medium Cornmeal, grind finer)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ¾ teaspoon baking soda
  • 1½ cups pumpkin puree (or 1 15-ounce can, see Notes)
  • ½ cup chopped walnuts
  • ME--perhaps add cinnamon (Ceylon type) and raisins would be nice!!

Go to link for directions. Basically you soak the dates in the water (I nuked mine a bit to soften more quickly)--she says 15 minute soak.  Use parchment in bottom of pan. She says metal pans cook better for this and makes it more moist and you cook till cracks appear and the edges just start turning brown. She used 8" sq pan, but I didn't have a metal one in that size so I used a 9" round one which is very close in square inches to the 8" and it worked perfectly.  cooked about 35 -38 minutes.

Like I say, I like fresh fruit and cinnamon with this or honey and cinnamon on top.

No comments: