Tuesday, January 31, 2012

chickpea potato fritters or pancakes



We really like these and had ketchup with them--yum. You definitely need a non-stick pan. I have a ceramic pan which is shown in this picture.  I found this recipe online and their fritters were a bit more formed--I may have put a hair too much liquid,, but they were marvelous.  I changed mine up a bit. This makes 4

1 can of chickpeas, drained
2 large potatoes (save cooking water)
1-2 rounded tablespoons of hummus (I used the red pepper, garlic hummus)
salt and pepper
1/2 teaspoon of paprika
few pinches of fresh parsley
olive oil

Cook the potatoes and save the liquid. In a food processor place the the chickpeas, adding some of the potato water to enable it to blend nicely. Add the rest of the ingredients to the processor. Blend till smooth--adding more of the potato water as needed---don't add too much or they will be harder to cook.

I just spread it out into the hot pan which had pam and about a teaspoon of  olive oil. I cooked it at the medium high temperature on the top of the  stove .  Then I turned it down a bit.  After one side browns, I separated the mass into four parts and flipped, returning the temp to the higher setting. After a few minutes,  I covered the pan, lowered the temp to about medium and continued the cooking until nice and brown. I flipped it another time too.

No comments: