Wednesday, December 18, 2013

roasted chicken (upside down) with interesting spices

This is a very moist recipe. It called for cooking the chicken as you see it; UPSIDE DOWN! It made it nice and moist. This was an easy recipe and I enjoyed the rubbed on spices. I found the recipe at Lynn's kitchen adventures here http://www.lynnskitchenadventures.com/2013/02/floras-easy-roast-chicken.html   Lynn has lots of great recipes so go to her blog! You are supposed to rub it 24 hours before cooking. I didn't have the time--I did it about an hour before cooking and it still came out tasty--I will explain why below.  Here is a copy of this recipe:

Easy Roast Chicken

Make sure and remove the neck and any bag (full of the gizzards) before proceeding with the recipe!
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons sugar (I omitted since I am not supposed to have sugar on SCD)
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
  • ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
  • ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 whole chicken (about 4 pounds)
  • 5 cloves of garlic, peeled (for cavity of chicken)
  • 1 onion, cut if necessary to fit in cavity of chicken
  1. In a small bowl combine the salt, sugar (me omit), cloves, allspice, nutmeg and cinnamon. Rub the chicken thoroughly with the mixture.{ I did it an hour before instead of the 24 hours--one thing I think that helped is I loosened the skin over the breast area and rubbed with the spices directly on the meat under the skin and then I did it on top of the skin too. I may have mixed up a little more of the seasonings}   Cover the chicken and refrigerate for 24 hours. OR do what I did--just did it about an hour before but rubbed the spices directly on the breast meat under and then on top of the skin.
  2. Preheat oven to 425. Place the garlic and onion inside the chicken cavity and put chicken breast side down into a roasting pan or baking dish.[note--it IS upside down]
  3. Bake for about 1 hour, or until internal temperature reaches 180 degrees. If the chicken is getting too brown, you can cover loosely with foil or lower the oven temperature. Remove from oven and allow to rest 15 minutes before slicing

No comments: