Sunday, August 23, 2009

Emeril's tuscan soup altered using 15 beans




Alterations: I used less oil. I used a package of 15 beans (20 ounces dried) . I cooked the raw beans an hour in 8 cups water (with a sprinkling of dried sage ) and then drained the water and added about 4-6 cups (not sure)of fresh water. I used more carrot(probably total of 4 and more celery (2 very large ones) and 1 very large purple onion.(I chopped the veggies in a processor)I used about 1 cup of the tomato puree


Ingredients
3 tablespoons olive oil (me--less)
1 cup minced red onions (me -one very large purple onion)
1/2 cup finely diced carrot (probably more like 1 cup chopped fine in processor)
1/2 cup finely diced celery (probably more like 1 cup)
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup tomato puree (more like 1 cup)
2 garlic cloves, peeled (I used minced garlic--2 rounded teaspoons)
2 cups dried cannelloni beans, soaked and rinsed (I used package of 15 beans 20 ounces dried and some dried sage))
8 cups water (I used this amount for the precooking--not for the regular cooking)
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup olive oil
2 sprigs fresh rosemary, cut in half
2 garlic cloves, peeled
5 ounces dried short pasta, such as ditalini or small macaroni, cooked until tender, drained and rinsed under cool water (I used gluten free)
Loaf crusty Italian bread

Directions

(If using the 15 beans--Soak the package of 15 beans overnight or cook for one hour in 8 cups of water and then drain --I cooked them with some dried sage)

In a heavy bottom pan, over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions, carrot, and celery. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 2 minutes. Add the tomato and garlic. Continue to cook for 2 minutes. Add the beans. Continue to cook for 1 minute. Stir in the water.(I used somewhere between 4-6 cups) Add the bay leaves and season with salt and pepper. Bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to cook until the beans are tender, about 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. (You can cook this in crockpot for 4 hours on high ).

Then later In a small saucepan, combine the remaining olive oil, rosemary, and garlic. Bring to a simmer and cook until the garlic is golden, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain, discarding the rosemary and garlic. Using a hand held blender, puree half of the soup. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the cooked pasta and continue to simmer for 15 minutes.

Remove from the heat and ladle into individual bowls. Stir half of the oil into the soup. Serve the remaining oil and bread on the side.

No comments: