Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Lentil Sweet Potato Pie



This was a different way to have lentils--I like it! This is a picture with a serving removed from it so you can see the inside ;-)

Ingredients:

  • 4 medium sweet potatoes
  • 1/2 cup diced onions
  • 1/2 cup diced celery (I used more)
  • 1/2 cup diced carrots (I used more--3/4 cup)
  • 4 1/2 cups prepared lentils (I used a bag of dried lentils)
  • 2, 15 oz cans diced tomatoes (I used 1 of the cans as fire-roasted tomatoes)
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon basil + more for garnish
  • 1/2 cup chopped spinach
  • 2+ tablespoons non-dairy milk
  • Sea salt
What I did.  I cooked and then mashed the sweet potatoes adding a bit of nutmeg and salt and pepper.

Meanwhile: I sautéed the onions, celery and carrots for  5-7 minutes in a bit of water in a large soup kettle. Then I added my bag of dried lentils and 6 cups of water and cooked it all until the lentils were done (about 35-45 minutes). I then added the tomatoes, and some frozen spinach (but fresh would be better). I added some dried basil and a bit of soy sauce (a gluten free one)--I may not have used the whole amount of this ingredient. 

I placed the lentil mixture in my 2 quart casserole and spread the sweet potato on top and placed in a 350 degree oven for about a half hour until it was nice bubbly . I served with a fresh salad.

This would also be good cooked in individual ramekins. This made a ton! It would probably serve  8 to ten people.

No comments: