This was a different way to have lentils--I like it! This is a picture with a serving removed from it so you can see the inside ;-)
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup diced celery (I used more)
- 1/2 cup diced carrots (I used more--3/4 cup)
- 4 1/2 cups prepared lentils (I used a bag of dried lentils)
- 2, 15 oz cans diced tomatoes (I used 1 of the cans as fire-roasted tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon basil + more for garnish
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach
- 2+ tablespoons non-dairy milk
- Sea salt
Meanwhile: I sautéed the onions, celery and carrots for 5-7 minutes in a bit of water in a large soup kettle. Then I added my bag of dried lentils and 6 cups of water and cooked it all until the lentils were done (about 35-45 minutes). I then added the tomatoes, and some frozen spinach (but fresh would be better). I added some dried basil and a bit of soy sauce (a gluten free one)--I may not have used the whole amount of this ingredient.
I placed the lentil mixture in my 2 quart casserole and spread the sweet potato on top and placed in a 350 degree oven for about a half hour until it was nice bubbly . I served with a fresh salad.
This would also be good cooked in individual ramekins. This made a ton! It would probably serve 8 to ten people.