Thursday, October 22, 2009

Pumpkin butter from Better Homes and Garden oct 09

This was easy to do. Takes about 25 minutes to cook. I made 1/2 the recipe, but I will post the entire recipe. The only thing I did add afterwords is some ground clove. (Also I am thinking you could use the canned pumpkin that is already spiced and sweatened and just not add the syrup and the spices--I may try this in the future)


4 cups pumpkin puree, or two (15-oz each) cans pumpkin
1 & 1/4 cups pure maple syrup
1/2 cup apple juice (I used apple cider)
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt.
(chopped hazelnuts -optional)
some ground cloves (ME --to taste)

1. In a 5 quart Dutch oven combine all ingredients except nuts. Bring to boiling and reduce heat. Cook UNCOVERED, over medium heat, stirring frequently, 25 minutes or until thick. (If mixture spatters, reduce heat to medium-low). Remove from heat; cool.

2. Ladle into jars or freezer containers, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Cover; store in refrigerator up to 1 week or freezer up to 6 months.

3. To serve, spread on toast and sprinkle with nuts if desired.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Pumpkin Butter is my first butter love! But my supplier now only makes it seasonally and in tiny jars too.

I think I'm going to try this one. Thanks.