Thursday, November 27, 2008
Apple Bourbon Turkey Breast
1 (6 pound) Bone in Turkey Breast (Honeysuckle)
Apple Bourbon Marinade (see below)
1 large oven bag
2 celery ribs
1 medium onion , sliced
2 tab butter melted
Large 2 gallon Zip lock bag
(1)Rinse breast with cold water and pat dry
(2)Remove 1/2 cup of marinade (recipe for marinade below), reserving to make the gravy.
(3)Pour remaining marinade into 2 gallon Ziploc bag . Add breast and chill and turn occasionally in refrigerate 8 to 24 hours.
(4)Remove Breast; discard the soaking marinade.
(5) Place a tablespoon or so of cornstarch in a oven bag and shake to coat. Place bag in shallow roasting pan; place celery and onion inside bag. Brush Turkey with melted butter and place on top of veggies. Close bag with tie. Cut 6 (1/2 inch) slits in bag.
(6) Bake 350 for 1 hour and 45 minutes or until meat reaches 170 degrees. Remove turkey (cool for 20 minutes before slicing). Pour drippings through wire mesh strainer.---about 1 and 1/2cups to 2 cups --place in bowl for making gravy.
Apple Bourbon Marinade and gravy:
2 cups apple juice (not from concentrate)
1/2 cup Bourbon
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
stir together until dissolves
Be sure to reserve a 1/2 cup of this before putting the rest in the Turkey bag (for use later when making the gravy.
1/4 cup of butter
1/8 cup of cornstarch
2 cups of reserved drippings
1/2 cup reserved apple bourbon marinade
salt and pepper to taste
(1) Melt butter over medium heat
(2) Mix cornstarch into 1/2 cup of cold marinade
(3) Put drippings in pan with butter and gradually add cornstarch mixture--stirring about 5 minutes or until thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste.