Monday, June 13, 2011

Garden peas and Tofu in chili-tomato sauce (Indian dish)




This is great served with new potatoes as a main meal. I love the flavors in this dish. From INDIAN cookbook

Ingredients:

4 TbSP olive oil
9 oz/250 g. Tofu (or Paneer) I used a bit more!
4 green cardamom pods bruised (I just used ground cardamom)
2 bay leaves
1 onion , finely chopped
2 tsp garlic paste (I just used fresh minced garlic)
2 tsp ginger paste (I just used fresh grated ginger)
2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 to 1 tsp chili powder
5 & 1/2 oz. 150 g, canned chopped tomatoes (I used a bit more)
scant 2 cups warm water plus 2 TBSP of water
1 tsp salt, or to taste
1 & 1/4 cups frozen peas
1/2 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp light cream (I used almond milk)
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro leaves (I had to use dried)

Method:

1. Heat 2 tab oil in medium non-stick saucepan over med heat. (I don't have a non stick and tried it in my iron skillet. I ended up having to place it under my broiler to get it to brown). Cook until evenly browned. Be careful as it tends to splatter in hot oil. Remove and drain on paper towels.

2. Add the remaining oil to pan. Reduce heat to low. Add the cardamon and bay leaves and let sizzle gently for 20- 25 seconds. Add the onion, increase heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently for 4-5 minutes, until onion is softened. Add garlic and ginger pastes and cook, stirring frequently for an additional 3-4 minutes, until onion is pale golden in color.

3. Add the coriander, turmeric, and chili powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes. Add the 2 tablespoons of warm water and cook, stirring for 3 minutes, or until the oil separates from the spice paste.

4. Add the scant 2 cups of warm water and salt. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 7-8 minutes.

5. Add the Tofu (Paneer) and peas and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the garam masala, cream, and fresh cilantro and remove from the heat.

No comments: