Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Gluten Free Chocolate Mousse and Chocolate Syrup-also dairy free

My family loves chocolate so I was trying to find a dairy free, lower in fat, gluten free dessert--found this somewhere online--I didn't record where! This is quick! HowEVER you have to really mix it for quite a while if you use the firmer tofu. Also I tried this again and mixed all of the chocolate syrup into the batch to give it more chocolate taste--and I added more sweetener and vanilla--I like a richer chocolate taste. The above picture is the mousse--the one in front has some maple syrup drizzled on it. I am going to try some with chocolate syrup--below on it.

1 package of light SILKEN SOFT tofu (I used the firm WHICH MAKES IT SLIGHTLY GRAINY UNLESS YOU PROCESS LONGER)
1/3 cup maple syrup (this is what I used, can also use honey or sugar)needs more
2 tab. of cocoa powder (a bit more)
1 tsp vanilla (needs a bit more)
salt to taste
optional (instant coffee mixed in is very good with this --1 or 2 Tab--to taste!)


Puree in food processor. Add some (or all) of the chocolate syrup below. Refrigerate 2 hours--serves 3-4. It tasted great just after I blended it so I am not sure why it says to wait 2 hours. Perhaps cause I used the firm?


THE CHOCOLATE SYRUP:
3 tab sugar
2 tab cocoa powder
1/2 cup water
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla
salt to taste
Combine and heat over water until thickened. Let cool.
This is good served over strawberries or bananas.