Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Black Bean Oatmeal Burgers




Ok--This is another recipe found in Dr. Esselstyn's book. I like this with BQ sauce, tomato, sliced onions and lettuce and mustard.

2 cups black beans
1 14.5 ounce can tomatoes with zesty mild chilies (I partially drained this)
1 garlic clove, minced or 1 tsp garlic powder (I forgot)
1 tsp onion powder
2 green onions, chopped (I just used a bit of chopped regular onion)
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup cilantro or parsley (used parsley)
2 cups of old fashioned rolled oats ( actually use quick oats as they will hold together much better,)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
2. Process carrots in food processor until very fine. Add the rest of the ingredients except for the oats. Blend well
3. Add the blended ingredients to the oats
4. Form into patties and place on baking sheet and bake for 8-9 minutes. (I used a 1/2 cup measuring cup and made 8 large patties by scooping and dumping onto pan) But if I use a hamburger press I make 6 patties!

5. You are supposed to turn patties over and broil for 2 more minutes. I sometimes do this on both sides to lend firmness to the burger.

6. Serve on buns with all the fixings--lettuce, tomato, onion, BQ sauce etc.

Note: if using old fashioned oats instead of quick oats another article says to cook them 16 minutes! Then broil go a minute or two.

No comments: