PHOTO PROBLEM

Photos MAY BE temporarily down due to photobucket probems!! SORRY

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Lima Bean Soup



This picture doesn't show it, but you add milk before serving. You can use regular milk, or 1/2 and 1/2 or soymilk, almond milk etc. This was found in a little book put out by Taste of Home. I did some changes which I will note. One of my FAVORITES

3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each ) chicken broth. (I just used a quart since that is all I had--you could sub vegetable broth to make it vegan or Chickpea broth)

2 cans (15 ounce each) lima beans , rinsed and drained. (I used frozen baby limas and some butter peas)
3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
2 small sweet red peppers, chopped (I also used a bit of roasted red peppers)
2 small onions, chopped
2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
1/4 cup butter (I omitted)
1-1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
12 tsp dried oregano
1 cup half and half cream (I used almond milk -not shown in the picture)
3 bacon strips, ooked and crumbled (I just used a bit of liquid smoke--about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon)

Combine first 12 ingredients; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-35 minutes or until veggies are tender. Add milk; heat through but do not boil. Sprinkle with bacon just before serving or use liquid smoke. Makes 3 quarts

No comments: