This is a quick hearty soup. Vegan or if desired you can do vegetarian and add cheese when you serve.
Here are the brands I used: and and
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can pumpkin puree (from the can or homemade) (15 ounce or so)
- 1 can canned tomatoes (about 2 cups--I like the fire roasted ones)
- 2 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 can black beans (15 oz, 425 g)
- 1 can garbanzo beans or white beans
- 1 can mixed chili beans (see photo) or substitute your choice (NOTE-these pictured have no chili seasoning--they are just beans to use in chili
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder (start with half the amount--or less, and add more, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon up to 2 tablespoons chili powder (start with 1 teaspoon or add more, depending on your tastes and also on how spicy your chili powder is)
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika (smoked is different from regular)
- salt and pepper
- fresh cilantro,green onions for topping if desired
makes about for 4-6 servings or about 2 & 1/2 to 3 quarts
1) In a large pot or skillet, cook chopped onion and minced garlic in olive oil for about 5 minutes on medium heat until soft.
2) Add pumpkin, canned tomatoes (you can chop them up into smaller chunks), vegetable stock (or water), black beans and garbanzo beans and chili beans. Add the cumin and the amount of chili powder you desire, stir everything well, and season with salt and pepper. Taste your chili, season some more with salt and pepper if needed.[After cooking you can add the more cumin or and more chili powder , if desired]. Bring to boil, make sure to stir all ingredients well together to combine flavors and spices. Reduce to simmer and cook for 5-to20 minutes on simmer. It will get spicier as you heat it--this is why it is better to add the spices as you go if you don't like a lot of heat!
3) Serve in soup bowls, garnished with chopped green onion and or cilantro. Can add cheese or sour cream if you are not vegan