PHOTO PROBLEM

Photos MAY BE temporarily down due to photobucket probems!! SORRY

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Kazakhstan type spicy rice or Uzbek Palov

I so LOVE THIS! This would be great for a church supper too.! I found this recipe at http://mymommymakesit.blogspot.com/ and for where to go on her blog for the recipe you should find it here: http://mymommymakesit.blogspot.com/2010/02/silk-road-savories-uzbek-palov-and.html

I so love the flavors of this rice---it will be a favorite for me!I found this on a blog. I changed some things a bit which I will put in the recipe as well.

Heat 1 TBSP of vegetable oil or ghee/butter over medium heat (me-just a squirt of olive oil in my iron pan)

Add 2 tsp of cumin seeds (I used ground cumin)
1 large onion peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 red bell pepper
1 small Thai chilli or Mexican jalepeno OR 1 tsp of cayenne powder (ONLY 1/8th tsp ground cayenne pepper for me)
and lastly 4 cloves of garlic peeled and chopped

Saute for 1 minute

Next add two cups of cooked batsmati rice
3/4 cup of dried cherries (used Dried cranberries!)
2 tsp of ground paprika
1/2 tsp of ground tumeric OR 1/2 tsp of ground saffron dissolved in 2 TBSP of hot water
3 tsp of salt (I used about half of this

Lastly add 1 cup of shredded carrot
2 TBSP of lime juice

Simmer for 5 minutes

Garnish with plenty of fresh cilantro and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts OR pistachios

Can also be chilled and served on a bed of leafy greens

2 comments:

shannon i olson said...

yum! this looks amazing, printing now.....

Mike said...

Your blog has been recommended to us as an interviewee's favorite blog!

We would like to do an interview with you about your blog for Blog Interviewer.

We'd like to give you the opportunity to give us some insight on the "person behind the blog."

It would just take a few minutes of your time. The interview form can be submitted online here Submit your interview.

Best regards,

Mike Thomas