Thursday, June 3, 2010

Kazakhstan type spicy rice or Uzbek Palov

I so LOVE THIS! This would be great for a church supper too.! I found this recipe at http://mymommymakesit.blogspot.com/ and for where to go on her blog for the recipe you should find it here: http://mymommymakesit.blogspot.com/2010/02/silk-road-savories-uzbek-palov-and.html  It is a private blog now, so can't access it.

I so love the flavors of this rice---it will be a favorite for me!I found this on a blog. I changed some things a bit which I will put in the recipe as well.

Heat 1 TBSP of vegetable oil or ghee/butter over medium heat (me-just a squirt of olive oil in my iron pan)

Add 2 tsp of cumin seeds (I used ground cumin)1 large onion peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 red bell pepper
1 small Thai chilli or Mexican jalepeno OR 1 tsp of cayenne powder (ONLY 1/8th tsp ground cayenne pepper for me)
and lastly 4 cloves of garlic peeled and chopped

Saute for 1 minute (actually I cook it on low while cooking the rice in another pot)

Next add two cups of cooked batsmati rice
3/4 cup of dried cherries (used Dried cranberries!)
2 tsp of ground paprika
1/2 tsp of ground tumeric OR 1/2 tsp of ground saffron dissolved in 2 TBSP of hot water
3 tsp of salt (I used about half of this

Lastly add 1 cup of shredded carrot
2 TBSP of lime juice

Simmer for 5 minutes

Garnish with plenty of fresh cilantro and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts OR pistachios

Can also be chilled and served on a bed of leafy greens

1 comment:

shannon i olson said...

yum! this looks amazing, printing now.....