Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Teff/Oat bread/ or muffins GF



 I need to use up the Teff flour I had ,so I tried this recipe which was actually for 4 small loafs of bread found here: https://www.powerhungry.com/2018/01/teff-oat-marathon-bread-gfvyeast-free/   These have an interesting flavor/ reminds me a bit of bran muffins. I like the flavor of the molasses that is in the ingredients. I also like to serve these with a bit of honey for better flavor. Go to the link as she describes the process and about how they rise and fall down afterwards.--this is why she uses the smaller bread pans. It worked about the same in the Extra Large Muffin tins I used. --didn't fall too much.  These came out very moist and cooked in 1/2 the time for me since I used the Muffin tins.

Note some on a GF diet can have GF oats.  I used Bob's Red Mill.


I ENDED UP LOVING THIS RECIPE!! NOW I WILL NEED TO HAVE TEFF FLOUR ON HAND--I USED WHAT IS CALLED IVORY TEFF. NOTE: THE TYPE OF MOLASSES--BRAND- MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE. I prefer the Grandma's brand. In this picture I used Plantation organic brand which has a more bitter taste and gives a darker color to the muffins. But still good.

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 and 3/4 cups (425 mL)water
  • 1 cup (250mL) nondairy milk
  • 1 teaspoon vinegar
  • 1 and 1/2 cups (135 grolled oats (certified GF, as needed))
  • 1/4 cup whole psyllium husks (or 3 tablespoons psyllium powder)(I substituted 3 TAB of cornstarch)
  • 1/4 cup (25 gflaxseed meal
  • 3 tablespoons (45 mL) molasses
  • 1 cup (160 gteff flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 11/4 teaspoons fine sea salt
  • 1/4 cup (60 mL) oil 
  • ME-Raisins would probably be a tasty addition in these.


Directions:

  1. In a large bowl, stir together the water, milk, vinegar, oats, psyllium, flaxseed meal and molasses until combined. Let stand for 15 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350F (175 C) and grease or spray 4 small (5×3-inch/12.5×7.5 cm) loaf pans. (I don't have these so I used the EXTRA large muffin tins. This made 11 muffins of the extra large size.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk together the teff flour, baking soda and salt.
  4. Add the teff mixture and oil to the oats mixture, stirring vigorously until completely combined (batter will be very thick). Divide batter equally between prepared pans, smoothing tops.
  5. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 44 minutes and tops of loaves are very puffed. OR IF USING EXTRA LARGE MUFFIN TINS cook for 17-20 minutes or a bit more until tooth pick inserted comes out mostly dry. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely in pans (loaves will begin deflating almost immediately, to about the level of each pan top). IF USING MUFFIN TINS--I just let them rest a minute or 2 and took them out and put on a rack to cool.
  6. Remove from pans, slice and eat!
  7. NOTE: I like these with served with honey.



No comments: