Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Pad Thai from McDougall

Really nice. This was in McDougall's quick and easy cookbook.

8 ounces uncooked rice noodles
3 tablespoons of soy sauce
2 tab rice vinegar (go easy--otherwise it can make it a bit tart--could do a tad less)
2 tab lime juice
1 tab ketchup (I forgot and I liked it without it but would add some sweetness which is needed)
2 teaspoons of sugar
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (I used 1/8, but more would be ok too)
1/3 cup water
4 green onions, chopped
1/2 tsp minced fresh grlic
1 6.5 ounces package of Smoked Tofu thinly sliced (I just used some extra firm Tofu that I browned in my pan
2 cups mung bean sprouts
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup cilantro if desired
2 tab chopped peanuts (optional)

Place the noodles in a bowl and cover with hot water. Soak of ten minutes. Drain.

Combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, lime juice, ketchup(if using) sugar, and red pepper in a bowl. Mix well and set aside.

Place the 1/3 cup water in a nonstick frying pan. Add the green onions and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently , for 3 minutes. Add the tofu, bean sprouts, and noodles. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the sauce mixture. Cook and stir for another 3-4 minutes until heated through. Transfer to a serving platter. Sprinkle with carrot, cilantro, and peanuts if desired. Serve at once.

Note. I added the carrots to the end of the cooking time. My hubby doesn't like cilantro so I didn't add it

No comments: