Monday, August 12, 2019

Cowboy Caviar




I like a batch of this for tortilla lunches and salads.  Could do for potluck as well.



  • 2-3 plum tomatoes chopped  small
  • 1 small chopped cucumber (optional---I like the crunch-pickle sized ones)
  • 1/3 cup red onion diced or white --the red sometimes tints the color of the corn funny
  • 1 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
  • 1 15 oz can black eyed peas rinsed and drained
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen sweet corn (just put it in frozen/ thaws quickly)or fresh raw corn
  • 1 bell pepper 
  •  cup Cilantro finely chopped
  •  cumin--sprinkle to taste
  • 2 Tablespoons lime juice 
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • optional---black olives or green olives would be nice as well
  • Tortilla chips for serving avocado just before serving would be good too

Mix all together---to your taste. You can add olive oil if desired--I don't need it.

Another recipe I love that I got from a friend  is below

Use a large bowl put all the following ingredients in and stir in as much Italian dressing as you like

2 cans drained black beans
2 cans drained black eyed peas
1 can drained nibbles corn
1 can drained showpeg corn
1 container of chopped onions
1 container of mixed green peppers chopped
1 container of chopped green onions
1 container of chopped tomatoes
Chopped cilantro to your taste
1 small can of mild rotel

When I say container I buy the pre chopped stuff from Ingels or Walmart.  I like wishbone Italian dressing but have used knockoffs also.  
Enjoy


1 comment: