Friday, November 13, 2009

Pomegranate rice from BHG





This was very good and very different. I just used some left over brown rice for this and I used pine nuts because I didn't have cashews. I also used purple onion because I didn't have shallots--but it was delicious!! (I didn't use the broth since my rice was already cooked)TO SEE WHAT I DID YOU CAN CHECK AT BOTTOM OF POST--but here is the original recipe

Prep 20 min. Cook: 14 min. Stand 10 min. (Makes 6-8 servings )

1 shallot , chopped
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1 cup jasmine or long grain white rice
2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1/8 tsp. ground cinamon
1 14oz can reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup roasted salted pistachio nuts
1 cup pomegranate seeds
lemon peel strips


1. In large saucepan cook shallots in hot oil over med heat 3-5 minutes or until just tender, stirring occasionally. Add rice, ginger, and cinnamon. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until rice begins to brown.

2. Carefully add broth and water to rice. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 14 min. Remove from heat; let stand, covered 10 minutes or unti the liquid is absorbed.

3. Stir in nuts and pomegranate seeds. Sprinkle lemon peel.

WHAT I DID:
Since I didn't have all the ingredients and my brown rice was already cooked, I simply cooked the purple onion in my iron skillet with a bit of pam and then added a bit of ginger to release some ginger flavor. Then I added about 3/4 cup cooked rice and sprinkled some more of the the freshly grated ginger and some cinnamon on top and mixed until heated through. Then I added some pomegranted seeds, some lemon peel strips, and some pinenuts (which were not toasted)--it was great.

No comments: