Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Cream of Vegetable Soup



This is a delicious soup in which I used almond milk for the dairy part of the recipe. It has fresh veggies which combine in a very nice soup. I found this in a recipe book, but I can't remember the name...perhaps Betty Crocker?

2 cups of water (I did more and adjusted the thickening agent)
1 cup fresh green beans (can use frozen if you don't have them)
3/4 cup fresh or frozen green peas
1/4 small head of cauliflower, separated into florettes (I used more)
2 small carrots, sliced
1 medium potato cubed
2 oz fresh spinach , cut up (about 2 cups---I did a bit more)
2 cups milk (used almond milk)
2 tab flour (I used cornstarch for gluten free, but some cornstarch containers say to use 1/2 the amount of the cornstarch )
1/4 cup whipping cream (I used the almond milk)
salt to taste
pepper to taste

Heat water, string beans, peas, cauliflower, carrots and potatoes to boiling. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer till veggies are crisp-tender about ten to 15 minutes.

Add spinach and cook uncovered about 1 minute. Mix 1/4 cup of milk and the flour or cornstarch until well blended. Gradually stir it into the vegetable mixture. Heat to boiling. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in remaining milk and cream (if using).Add salt and pepper. HEAT JUST until hot--DO NOT BOIL. Garnish each serving with snipped dill weed if desired.

6 servings at 1 & 1/4 cup each. Probably 4 main servings.

No comments: