Saturday, August 28, 2010

Mushroom pasta with port (from 1000 vegetarian recipes)


This was a good fast dish. I used my gluten free noodles. I found this in 1000 Vegetarian Recipes from Around the World. I made many changes.


Ingredients:

4 Tbsp butter (I omitted)
2 Tbsp olive oil (I only used some squirts of oil)
6 shallots, sliced. (I just used regular onions--2 small)
6 cups of sliced white mushrooms (I only had about 2 cups, but more would be nice)
1 tsp all-purpose flour (I used 2-3 tsp of cornstarch)
5/8 cup of heavy cream (I used almond milk--and just a bit more than they called for)
2 Tbs port (I used malbec)
4 oz sun dried tomatoes, chopped
freshly grated nutmeg
1 lb dried spaghetti (I used gluten free fettuccini)
1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
salt and pepper

1.Heat butter and 1 tbsp of oilive oil in large pan (I just used a few squirts of olive oil in the large iron skillet). Add the shallots or onions and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook over low heat for 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then sprinkle over the flour or cornstarch and cook stirring constantly 1 minute.

2. Gradually stir in the cream (or milk) and port, then add the sun-dried tomatoes and a pinch of grated nutmeg, and cook over low heat for 8 minutes. (I cooked less)

3. Meanwhile cook your spaghetti.

4. Drain the spaghetti and return to the pan. Pour over the mushroom sauce and cook for 3 minutes. Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle over the chopped parsley. Can serve with cripy fried bread or garlic bread if desired.



4. Drain the spaghetti and

No comments: