Wednesday, November 30, 2016

apple carrot grain free donuts

here http://honeyvillefarms.blogspot.com/2014/12/almond-flour-apple-cider-donuts.html#.WD81UoWcHNB









I love love love these! I did some things differently than they did. I use only 1/8 cup of maple syrup, I used almond milk instead of coconut milk, I used a whole single serving size of unsweetened natural applesauce which may have been 1/2 cup instead of the 1/4 cup they called for (I used more since I used less maple syrup). I Also added one grated carrot. Instead of the powdered sugar I used unsweetened coconut after cooking (but next time I may try adding it near the end of the cooking.  You do have to let these cool for 5 minutes or so or they may fall apart--once they have cooled a bit they are fine.  I really like this recipe--Not too sweet and a nice balance of flavor---I think the grated carrot is a good addition. Here is the recipe with my changes--





Apple Cider Donuts (GF, DF)
Makes 8-10 donuts (me 6)

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups Honeyville Blanched Almond Flour (I used Hodgson Mill unblanched almond flour
3/4 tsp ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Ginger
1/8 tsp Allspice
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/8 tsp Sea Salt
1 large Egg, plus 1 Egg White
1/4 cup pure canned Coconut Milk  (me , almond milk)
1/4 cup unsweetened Applesauce (me-1/2 cup)
1/4 cup pure Maple Syrup (me 1/8 cup)
1 Tbsp Coconut Oil, melted
1 tsp pure Vanilla extract
1 Tbsp Coconut Flour (Oh, I missed this!!)
Optional: Powdered Sugar or Powdered Coconut for dusting (see recipe note below)
optional---I added one grated carrot to the mix
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously grease a 6-cavity donut panwith palm shortening or coconut oil; set aside.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the blanched almond flour, spices, baking soda and salt; set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, egg white, *canned coconut milk, applesauce, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, vanilla and coconut flour and grated carrots until well combined. (*For best results, I recommend using pure canned coconut milk, not coconut milk beverages.)
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and use a spoon to thoroughly combine. Then, carefully spoon the donut batter into the prepared donut pan just shy of the fill line. Use your finger or back of spoon to even out the top of the batter.
5. Bake for 16-18 minutes, until donut springs back when touched.
6. Remove from oven and allow the donuts to cool in the pan for 1-2 minutes.(I did more like 5) Then turn them out onto a sheet of parchment paper. Dust with a little powdered sugar or powdered coconut. Then, transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling – if you can wait that long! Yum!

Recipe note: To make powdered coconut, simply pulse-blend together 1/4 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut with 1 teaspoon of coconut flour until fine, almost powder-like. Be sure to use the pulse function of your blender and pulse slowly, so you don’t make coconut butter. Use the powdered coconut to add a pretty and tasty decorative effect to your baked goods

No comments: