Friday, September 18, 2009

Chinese Vegetables for crockpot

Got the basic recipe from the book Fix-It and Forget-it Lightly. Makes 6 servings

1 bunch of celery, sliced on the diagonal
1 large onion, sliced
1 pound can of bean sprouts, drained (I would prefer fresh but can't always find them)
12 oz package of chop-suey vegetables (I used canned --24 oz--but added my own fresh too
[I added carrots-sliced very small, a large box of fresh mushrooms -sliced, some red bell pepper)
2 (4 oz each) cans sliced mushrooms , drained (I used the fresh--see above)
1 Tbs of sugar
3 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce (la choy is Gluten free)
1/4 tsp black pepper or to taste
(the recipe also calls for 3/4 cup of water--but mine didn't need as much because of the fresh veggies)
Sometimes I add a can of chickpeas too

1. Saute the fresh veggies just a few minutes if you want to cut down on crock time.
2. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker
3. cover. Cook on low 3-6 hours depending upon how soft or crunchy you like your veggies. Since I sauteed mine first it was done much more quickly.

Serve over rice

No comments: