Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Turkey and veggie meatballs


I really loved these meatballs--we served them in a spaghetti sauce. The guys had theirs on regular spaghetti and I had mine on spaghetti squash. I really love the flavor of these and I haven't always loved ground turkey--but these had a nice flavor. For a very QUICK VEGAN AND GF OPTION:  https://nannykimsrecipes.blogspot.com/2019/08/meatballs-vegan-gf.html

Ingredients:

1 pound of ground turkey
1 cup of grated carrots
1 cup of grated zucchini squash (I used my spirooli and then chopped a bit more)
1 cup of peeled and grated apple (used my spirooli)
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 egg
3 tab of balsamic vinegar
1 and 1/2 tsp or so of minced garlic
salt (I used sea salt--1/2 to 1 tsp) may be a bit more?
black pepper (I used a few grinds of my mixed pepper)

Mix everything with your hands and make into golf sized balls. Place on cookie sheet and bake at 425 degrees for 20 -25 minutes OR longer until they start browning and internal temp is 175 degrees.

I found the basic recipe here http://www.thetastyalternative.com/2013/11/pumpkin-apple-veggie-turkey-meatballs.html   BUT I LEFT OUT THE PUMPKIN----she adds about 1/2 cup--however she says it is best if not completely pureed. I think it would be a little runny if you did. Butternut might be a nice addition to these too, in place of the pumpkin. However I left it all out.

No comments: