Saturday, January 11, 2014

Coq Au Vin for the crock pot



WOW OH WOW is this delicious. I found the original recipe in my little booklet that came with my small crock pot. I changed some things . I will give both versions

5 slices bacon, diced {I used 1 slice]
2/3 cup green onion sliced [I didn't use but I added an extra onion]
6 chicken breast halves [I used 9-10 boneless skin free thighs]
1 onion chopped (I used 2 small onions since I didn't have the green onions above]
1/4 lb whole mushrooms [I used 1/2 lb of sliced]
8 small new potatoes [I used cauliflower pieces since I am on special diet, but the potatoes would be fab]
1 clove garlic, minced [I used 2 large garlic cloves sliced]
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/2 tsp dried thyme (I just sprinkled over the chicken]
1/2 cup chicken broth [I used more--3/4 to 1 cup]
1/2 cup Burgundy wine
I added one parsnip
I added some frozen garden peas at the end

Directions

Saute in a skillet the bacon and green onion until bacon is crisp. [I did my one slice and then removed it and sauteed one of my onions].  Remove and drain well, then add the chicken breast to the skillet and brown them well on both sides [I omitted this step since I used boneless, skinless , thighs]. Remove the chicken and set it aside. Put the onion, mushrooms , potatoes [me cauliflower and a parsnip], and garlic in Crock-Pot slow cooker.  Add the chicken, bacon , green onions, salt, pepper, thyme and chicken broth. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours. If using garden peas add the amount you desire during the last hour. Add the Burgundy wine during the last hour of cooking.

Recommended unit  size 5-7 Quarts [I used a 4 1/2 quart one ] Made about 5 servings

No comments: