I found this online. The reference is at the bottom. I did use less of the hot ingredients on mine!
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 -5 teaspoons chili powder (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 -4 teaspoons cumin (can use more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1/3-1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup tomato sauce (or use crushed tomatoes)
- 1 cup beef broth or 1 cup water mixed with beef bouillon powder or 1 cupjust use water
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste) or 1 teaspoon white salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional, add in for a creamy sauce, can use more to taste)
- 1Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat; add in onion, red pepper flakes, oregano, basil, chili powder and cumin and saute for 3 minutes.
- 2Add in fresh garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- 3Add in salsa, tomato sauce and beef broth or water; mix with a spoon to combine.
- 4Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered stirring occasionally for 30-40 minutes or until reduced slightly.
- 5Adjust all spices to taste then season with seasoned salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Mix in sour cream if using and heat through (do not allow to boil).
- 7OPTIONAL: you may cool the mixture then process on a food processor or a blender for a smoother texture.
Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/kittencals-red-enchilada-or-taco-sauce-168653#ixzz1VIa6ut65