Saturday, November 1, 2008

Gluten Free Crusty Rosemary rolls (dairy free)

Here are some of the main ingredients for the GF Crusty Rosemary rolls--these are delicious and I think I may serve these with the Thanksgiving Meal. Nice and moist on the inside and crusty on the outside. I found the ingredients at my local Food Lion (but it is the only Food lion in town that has them) you can find them at Health Food Stores and possible at Krogers (here in the South. (I found the recipe from a magazine called Living Without.) The Xanthan Gum is expensive, but you only use a few teaspoons.


To make these you need to make a High protein flour blend and then you use 3 cups of the blend. The blend consists of : 1 & 1/4 cups bean flour (either chickpea or soy flour),
1 cup cornstarch (or arrowroot or potato starch), 1 cup tapioca starch or tapioca flour, 1 cup white or brown rice flour.
Ingredients for the rolls:
3 cups of the above gluten-free high protein flour blend
2 tsp. Xanthan Gum
1 tsp salt
3 tab. sugar
1 tab. active dry yeast
1-2 tsp dried rosemary (OR dill or any favorite herb) optional (I ground the rosemary in a
coffee grinder)
1 Tab. olive oil (I used extra virgin and it was cold pressed)
1 & 1/2 cups warm water
(Rice flour or corn meal for dusting--I forgot).
Sift first 4 ingredients (the blend, the gum, salt and sugar). Add Yeast and herbs. Mix to incorporate ingredients.
Blend oil and warm water (110-120 degrees) into dry ingredients and mix on high speed 4 minutes (I mixed by hand since I don't have a high grade mixer)
Line a cookie sheet with parchment. Spray lightly with oil. Scoop with a large ice cream scoop (couldn't find mine) or I used a 1/4 cup measuring cup---makes 12--well spaced (mine still connected when cooking!). Cover lightly in warm place for 30 minutes.
Bake 400 degree preheated oven for 15-20 minutes. Mine took 15.



No comments: