Monday, January 27, 2014

no knead Artisan whole wheat bread



This is a nice easy crusty Artisan bread. Crusty on the outside and chewy on the inside. You cook it in a dutch oven . I used my iron one. I also used parchment paper to line it---this means you don't 
have to handle the dough   much . The only thing about using parchment is that the high heat can make it smell a bit!




 My guys loved this. I used the White Whole wheat. Here is a look at the chewy inside: 


 For complete detailed directions  go to this link: http://www.simplysogood.com/2013/03/artisan-no-knead-bread.html

You mix the dough the night before and then cook it in the morning.  You could also mix it in the morning and cook it in the evening.  Basically you let it rise about 12-18 hours.  Anyways I found this to be very easy --only takes 4 ingredients and you simply mix it and leave it and then cook in the morning. Here is the reduced recipe but go to the link for the how to:


Crusty Bread

3 cups unbleached all purpose flour [I used White Whole Wheat instead}
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon yeast
1 1/2 cups water

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt and yeast.  Add water and mix until a shaggy mixture forms.  Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 12 - 18 hours.  Overnight works great.  Heat oven to 450 degrees.  When the oven has reached 450 degrees place a cast iron pot with a lid in the oven and heat the pot for 30 minutes.  Meanwhile, pour dough onto a heavily floured surface and shape into a ball. [Since it is really sticky I used my non-vinyl medical gloves--they work well ;-). I also placed it on the parchment paper like she describes , but I set it in a large 8 cup measuring bowl so it would hold its round shape] Cover with plastic wrap and let set while the pot is heating.  Remove hot pot from the oven and drop in the dough.  Cover and return to oven for 30 minutes.  After 30 minutes remove the lid and bake an additional 15 minutes.  Remove bread from oven and place on a cooling rack to cool.  

Note: I cooked mine covered for 28 minutes and then only 2 minutes uncovered so be careful to check. Also with the whole wheat you might want to let it rise for longer than the 30 minutes after you shape the loaf. It may be better to let it rise for 45 -60 minutes before placing it in the pot.

No comments: