Friday, August 8, 2008

Strawberry wonder or Stawberry trifle

This was a most wonderful creamy dessert. It is similar to a strawberry cake we used to eat in OK. It is actually supposed to be in a 13 by 9 inch dish. I made 3 smaller ones. (Since I am gluten free I made one without the vanilla wafers. This is better than shortcake ;-). It would be great in a trifle dish. (serves around 24!!) (actually I ate it before the red part had-- a chance to jell and I think I like it better before it jelled! so I may try it without the strawberry jello--just using the strawberries without it--I will eat more tonight and make a decision) This is from The Blue Willow Inn Bible of Southern Cooking . It has over 600 recipes--buy the book!!!

2 pints (which is 4 cups) of frozen sweetened strawberries

1 (6oz) package strawberry gelatin (possibly omit this! okay--I made it a second time--I like it with just a bit of gelatin--not the whole amount)

3 cups cold milk

1 (5.1-ounce) box INSTANT vanilla pudding (this is the large box)

1 (cup sour cream)

1 (12 oz) container whipped topping

1 large box vanilla wafers

In a saucepan on medium heat cook the strawberries and gelatin until the gelatin dissoves. Set this aside to cool. In a small bowl combine the milk and instant pudding. Stir until well mixed. Stir in the sour cream. Stir in the whipped topping. In a 9 by 13 inch pan layer the vanilla wafers, pudding mix, and strawberry mixture. Repeat until the ingredients are used. Chill before surving. Serves bout 24!!!
ps--for me I made some of this without the wafers--no gluten

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We wish you were here to make this again ;0)