Monday, December 7, 2009

Pasta with Kale and Chickpeas




This met with my hubby's approval (I like just about anything...so when he really likes it then I am a happy camper). I found the basic recipe at fatfreevegan --she used chard and portebello mushrooms. I prefer Kale and regular mushrooms. But the rest is the same. This is her recipe--and you can visit her blog here -I am putting changes in red.

"Pasta with Chard and Chickpeas

A touch of orange juice or balsamic vinegar added right at the end really brightens up the flavors of this dish.

1 pound whole wheat rotini or other spiral pasta (I used gluten free brown rice rotini)

6 leaves Swiss chard (1 bunch, about 10 ounces trimmed) (I used kale and probably used more than 6 leaves--I had some to the side so we could add as much as we liked)

1 medium onion thinly sliced

8-10 cloves garlic, minced (I love the good amount of garlic!!)

1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)

4 ounces baby Portobello mushrooms, sliced (I used regular mushrooms--might have used more than 4 ounces)

2-3 tablespoons tomato paste (I used 2 tbsp. of double-strength)

1/4 cup water

1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (1 can), rinsed and drained

salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed orange juice (or 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar)


Heat water for pasta and begin to cook it according to package directions.



While the pasta is cooking, wash the chard and remove the stems; set them aside for another use. Chop the leaves coarsely. Over medium-high heat, heat a large non-stick pan.(I use my iron pan--it never sticks). Add the onion and sprinkle it lightly with salt. Cook, stirring, until onion begins to brown. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, and mushrooms and reduce heat. Cook, stirring, until mushrooms soften, adding a tablespoon or two of water if needed to prevent sticking. Add tomato paste and water and stir to combine. Add chickpeas and simmer until pasta is done.



When pasta is cooked, remove and reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid before draining. Add 1/2 cup of the liquid to chickpeas. (I just cooked my kale about 6 minutes and then added it to the pasta when serving).Stir in the chard and cover. Cook until chard is just wilted, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the pasta, add additional pasta water if necessary to moisten, and add salt and pepper to taste. Just before serving, stir in orange juice or balsamic vinegar." (I forgot to do the oj or vinegar --I liked it without it , but might try it next time.)

No comments: