Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Crockpot Red bean Jamaican Stew (with sweet potatoes)



I found this recipe here: http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/jamaican-red-bean-stew.php and I made just some slight changes--I love sweet potatoes so I added extra. This is a nice crock pot dish. I LOVE THIS

Ingredients:

  • 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (I used less)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups sliced baby carrots (I used less but used more sweet potato)
  • 3 scallions, chopped
  • 1 sweet potato, diced
  • 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
  • 2 tsp curry powder (I prefer 1 instead of 2)
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (I omit-I like less of the heat)
  • 1/4 tsp ground allspice
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 (16 oz) cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed* (I used one can of red beans and 1 of kidney beans)
  • 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (I used the light kind)
  • 1 - 2 cups unsalted vegetable broth or water (I used water)
  • Optional: 1/4 tsp salt or to taste

Directions:

  1. Pour the oil into a 4-quart slow cooker and set the cooker on high. Add the garlic and put the lid on the cooker while you prepare the rest of the ingredients
  2. To the cooker, add the carrots, scallions, sweet potato, and tomatoes.
  3. Stir in the curry powder, thyme, red pepper flakes, allspice, and salt and pepper to taste
  4. Add the beans, coconut milk, and broth
  5. Reduce heat, cover, and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours
Cooking Tips: Use light coconut milk or reduce the amount to 1/2 cup for less saturated fat and calories

No comments: