Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Veggie-stuffed Portobello mushrooms


I found this recipe from Better Home and Garden Mag. August issue 09 . It is good for a snack or light lunch--can serve with crusty rolls or pita bread etc. Nice flavor combo


1 small yellow sweet pepper cut in bite sized strips (I used about 2/3 of a large yellow bell)
1 small red onion , chopped (I used 1/2 of a large)
1 medium zucchini, coarsely shredded (I just chopped mine)
1 carrot, coarsely shredded (again, I mostly chopped)
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 to 3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp snipped fresh basil
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 5ounce package of baby spinach (I used a bit less--not pictured in the lower picture)
1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs ( I used 1/3 cup rice bread crumbs--gluten free)
1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese (I omitted and used a sprinkling of nutritional yeast)
4 4-5 inch portobello mushroom caps, stems removed
4 slices of provolone cheese (I omitted)




1. Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a baking pan with foil (I did parchment paper).
In 12 inch skillet cook and stir sweet pepper, onion, zucchini, carrot, celery and garlic in oil (or iron skillet with a touch of oil) over medium-high heat 4 minutes. Stir in basil, lemon juice, and 1/4 tsp salt and ground black pepper. Top with spinach; cover. Cook 2 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat. Stir crumbs and 1/2 of Parmesan cheese into spinach mixture; set aside. (I used a bit of nutritional yeast instead of cheese).

2. Remove gills if desired (I left them). Arrange mushrooms, stemmed side up, on prepared pan. Top each with slice of provolone cheese if using. Divide veggie mixture among mushroom caps. Bake 15 minutes (mushrooms will water out slightly). Top with remaining Parmesan. Bake 2 minutes more. SERVES 4

No comments: