Monday, September 9, 2013

Eggplant Parmesan GF



 For the gluten free bread crumbs I used the following..


........................................................................................... : My Husband really loved this and I did as well. Next time I shall cut the eggplant in smaller pieces after baking the eggplant. I used the recipe found here http://cleangreensimple.com/2011/05/eggplant-parmesan/

I did a few change ups.

For the noodles : 1 pound of rice noodles

For the Cutlets:

One large eggplant, peeled and sliced vertically into 8 or 9 cutlets
1 cup of almond milk
3/4 cup brown rice flout
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 to 1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 to 1 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp driend basil
2 cups bread crumbs (GF or your choice)

For the sauce:

I used my favorite jar--and had some additional on hand for serving--I like extra

I used real cheese , but here is their recipe:

For the “cheese” (recipe from The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Jo Stepaniak)

  • 1 1/2 c. water or plain nondairy milk (I used rice milk)
  • 1/4 c. nutritional yeast flakes
  • 1/4 cup flour (any kind, I used brown rice flour)
  • 2 Tablespoons sesame tahini
  • 2 Tablespoons kuzu, arrowroot, or cornstarch
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt

  • Directions:
    1. Spread your eggplant slices out on a cookie sheet and sprinkle them with salt,,letting stand 20-30 minutes to sweat.
    2. Preheat oven to 450. From the cutlets ingredient list mix milk, rice flour, apple cider vinegar, salt, oregano, parsley and basil in wide shallow dish until well blended. Rinse your eggplant slices with water and pat dry. Dip the in the batter until well coated and then sprinkle both sides liberally with the breadcrumbs.  Place on parchment or silicone lined baking sheet and bake until the breadcrumbs are brown and crispy and the eggplant is tender inside [note --they said 6-8 minutes per side , but mine took more like 15 minutes PER SIDE so keep checking. It may depend on how thick you slice them]. After done turn down the oven to 350
    3. After they were done I placed some sauce to cover the bottom sparingly in my 2 quart casserole dish. I alternated layers of eggplant, scant Mozzarella cheese and sauce topping at last with sauce and cheese. Then I baked it uncovered in a 350 degree oven until bubbly--probably 30 minutes.
    4. I served this on top of the pasta
    Note: if you go to the original recipe she uses different amounts for the dipping sauce, and uses the substitute for the cheese. She also just serves hers after doing a step in the broiler instead of my step 3.

    No comments: