Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Coconut Curry Quinoa Stew



This may look strange, but I so loved it. Nice flavors too!
I found this very tasty--makes a very nice lunch! I found this recipe from a booklet that came with some quinoa. Some quinoa says to rinse and others don't so it may depend on who processes it.


2 Tab olive oil (me -just squirts)
1 small onion
1 small zucchini, winter squash or carrots (I used one zucchini)
2 celery stalks
1/2 small yellow pepper
2 teaspoons curry
2 teaspoons cumin
1/3 cup uncooked quinoa (rinsed in a screen type device)
2 cups water (I used 1 cup water with 1 cup broth)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cinnamon stick
2/3 cup kidney beans (I used more)
1/2 cup light coconut milk
Fresh parsley or cilantro if desired

I served this on some rice.

Cut vegetables for a stew into medium to large pieces. Heat a heavy bottom soup or caserole pot. (I just used my Large iron skillet). Add the oil and onion. When the onion is softened, begin adding the rest of the veggies. Mix ground spices into the vegetables. Mix the quinoa with the vegetables, and then add water, salt, cinnamon, beans, and coconut milk. Cover and simmer until quinoa drinks up the liquid and vegetables are soft. Remove the cinnamon, garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley. Serves 4.

1 comment:

Natasha in Oz said...

I am always looking for new ways to cook with quinoa so thanks for sharing this recipe. It sounds delicious!

Best wishes,
Natasha.